Here are routinely asked questions about ASM's programs
Which schools are supported by All Students Matter?
ASM volunteers will support teachers and students at all non-charter schools in eastern Menlo Park and East Palo Alto. The Ravenswood District schools include three which are grades Transitional Kindergarten through 5th: Belle Haven School, Costaño School, and Los Robles-Ronald McNair Dual Immersion Academy. New this year, ASM will support grades 6-8 at Cesar Chavez Ravenswood Middle School.
WhO IS ELIGIBLE TO DO ONLINE TUTORING WITH RAVENSWOOD STUDENTS?
ASM welcomes all volunteers who are at least 14 years old and high school freshmen. Volunteers must be able to give at least one hour per week, regularly each week, throughout the school year, during school or after school hours. All volunteers 18 and older must complete the Ravenswood School District required paperwork and Livescan fingerprinting testing for volunteers (provided by ASM).
DO I NEED TO HAVE PRIOR TUTORING OR TEACHING EXPERIENCE?
No. Volunteers come with a wide range of backgrounds, but all enjoy working with children and have a desire to support their learning. We provide initial and on-going training, monthly informational coffees (virtual in 2020), school-site liaisons, guest speakers and more.
WHAT SUBJECTS WILL I TUTOR?
Volunteers will offer virtual support to students in very small groups or one-on-one as directed by the classroom teacher. All Students Matter does not introduce curriculum, rather we support existing district curriculum and follow teacher direction.
- Most volunteers support students in literacy through a technique called Guided Reading, after attending a virtual ASM training session.
- Math support is also an option, determined by teacher request. Volunteers supporting math will receive training in Common Core techniques in order to best support the classroom curriculum.
- Some teachers may request help with Writers Workshop, and if so, volunteers receive training from ASM to better support students in the writing process. At Los Robles-Ronald McNair Dual Immersion Academy, some volunteers support students in a bilingual setting.
- Starting in the fall of 2020, volunteers can opt to support middle school students in grades 6-8 in English Language Arts and writing, working virtually with students 1:1 and under teacher direction.
DO I NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH?
No. Nearly all classrooms are taught in English. However, if you are Spanish-bilingual, please let us know on the application form.
MAY I COMMIT FOR LESS THAN ONE YEAR OR SPLIT THE COMMITMENT WITH A FRIEND?
No. It is critical for the students and teachers to be able to depend on the consistency of seeing the same volunteer each week at the same time as they build trust and an emotional bond with our volunteers. This weekly time also helps foster a stronger learning environment as sessions build on each other throughout the school year.
WHAT DOES AN HOUR VOLUNTEERING VIRTUALLY WITH ASM LOOK LIKE?
All Students Matter will provide three types of virtual tutoring to Ravenswood students starting this fall and volunteers may opt into just one or more than one type of support as time and interest allows:
- Volunteer tutors will partner with TK-5th grade classroom teachers during virtual class time, joining in Zoom classroom lessons with a focus on guided reading.
- Volunteer tutors will work with 2nd-5th grade students one-on-one virtually outside of class time. Teachers will select students and volunteers will arrange a mutually agreeable day/time with the student's family.
- Volunteer tutors will work with 6-8th grade students selected by teachers, one-on-one, virtually outside of class time, with a focus on literacy or writing as directed by the classroom teacher.
Will tutoring be online all year or will we be back in the classroom?
Our plan is to have a well-designed virtual tutoring program for the entire school year for all four schools. If we’re able at some point to do some in-person tutoring, volunteers may have the opportunity to select this, but in-person tutoring will not be required.